Monday, November 27, 2006

Snow on the Jura mountains

Hi All. Apols for not posting for a little while.

The weather is getting colder here and we’ve had the first snows of the season! Going to work one morning and I could see on the top of the Jura mountains the first real fall – it was so beautiful. I spent the whole journey just staring out the window taking it all in (it’s OK, I was on the bus!). The snow lasted most of the day, but as daytime temperatures were still getting to 10-12C from the overnight minimum of 1-2C, it still isn’t quite cold enough to stick just yet.
The second snow fall came about a week later and was a lot heavier. At lower altitudes it was very heavy rain – I should know, I was trying to drive back to town through it and it was so heavy I almost needed a person walking out the front with a flag to lead the way! It was one of those nights when you lean forward, hanging onto the steering wheel trying to peer through the gloom. But anyway, at about 1,500-2,000m up it was a thick blanket of snow which lasted for a few more days this time. The next time we get snow, it will begin to stay on the ground now.

Apart from an unseasonable blip we are having at the moment of cool-ish temperatures, it is slower getting colder and closer to real winter, and after the first snows, all the sport shops were madly stocking skis, boots, doing re-waxes and adjustments on clients equipment ready for this season.
I joined in and got a couple of clothing items to add to my ski gear and can’t wait for the season proper to commence. Some stations open in about 2-3 weeks I believe.

Here are some pics to give you an idea..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home