Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Burb's

I've been here for a year and a half now...going on two and a half if you count all the trips I made here whilst I was still working in London and 'commuting' on a lot of weekends to my 'second' home.

This area is so beautiful with the Alps, lakes, the Jura mountains, beautiful cities and culture and history going back before even the Romans. There are times I can't believe I am really here.

Italy is two hours away down the expressway, as is Germany. All of Europes major capitals are less than a mornings travel away by either the extensive high-speed rail or the numerous cheap flights.
And so I finally bit the bullet and bought myself an apartment. Having my friend Krissy there was certainly a great moral support that day as I nervously put my John Hancock on what was to be the first of many documents that will eventually make me a French apartment owner. Geneva is mere ten minutes away and the border to Switzerland is half that. It is a brand new complex and completion/move in date is Q3/08.
I have dreamed about something like this for ages and in fact got really close to having a second property (in the south of France) once before, when I was working as a Finance Analyst in London and we were earning ridiculous amounts of those mighty Pounds in the heady days before 9/11 came, the economy stumbled and we (along with contractor rates and property plans) fell back to earth.
But patience and dogged persistence paid off and here I am, looking forward to getting somewhere of my own where I can bang a nail in a wall and hang my pictures. It has been as the Beatles once sang, 'A Long and Winding road', but what a bloody interesting one!
Now all I need is someone to share it with... I wonder if Michelle Pfeiffer is still single...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home